There’s nothing I enjoy more than to connect with other like-minded people. Those who were never content with the status quo, the corporate drone bullshit, the whole “work until you retire at 65” crap that our society happily shoves down our throats from the time when we’re born until, well…, it’s too late to do anything. I admire people who’ve managed to carve out their own path in life and do something meaningful.
Meet Kyle, a young former-corporate wage slave who escaped his comfortable but super boring life in California for a much more meaningful and satisfied life in Eastern Europe.
To be honest, this is easily one of my favorite podcasts that I’ve ever done. In this podcast, we covered pretty much everything: location-independence, travel, favorite countries and cities, business, dropshipping/ecommerce, building products and services and much more.
There’s definitely something for everyone.
Here are some of the things we discussed:
- (1:24) Kyle’s background, where he’s from and where he’s now.
- (3:30) Why Kyle moved to Czech Republic over other countries
- (5:05) Pros and Cons of living in Eastern Europe over West
- (6:13) The lack of “hustle mentality” in Eastern Europe; The New York City hustle mentality
- (10:13) The challenges of working hard in during the Eastern Europe summers
- (11:00) My friend’s weird 5-12 work schedule
- (12:05) Kyle’s typical day routine
- (13:33) The “truth” about the Location-Independent lifestyle
- (14:30) Kyle’s future travel plans
- (16:05) The challenges of traveling and working at the same time
- (19:09) How I booked location accommodation in Bali and Thailand
- (19:45) The cost of renting an apartment in Kiev, Ukraine
- (21:48) Kiev vs. Odessa vs. Other Ukrainian cities
- (24:00) Why Kyle is not interested in moving around too much
- (25:00) The importance of building solid relationships vs. random friends here and there
- (27:40) Comfortable salary for living in Eastern Europe
- (28:00) $2-3/mo vs. $1M vs. $1B
- (29:10) The importance of time – enjoying your life during your 20s, 30s, and beyond
- (29:45) Going to Brazil at 29 vs. Going to Brazil at 55. Does it matter?
- (30:22) Club in Rio de Janeiro where you’ll have fun whether you’re 25 years old or 55 years old.
- (37:15) The myth of “overnight success.”
- (40:44) The challenges of writing a book
- (42:35) How to validate an idea
- (44:45) The power of building a strong brand
- (47:00) What’s better: blog or twitter?
- (48:30) Ecommerce/Dropshipping
- (52:25) Making free money with drop shipping (Credit card points)
- (58:40) The biggest business epiphanies/failures
- (1:03:00) The parallels of business / personal relationships
- (1:04:00) How to start from nothing
- (1:07:10) Starting a business on the side vs. Quitting your job and terrorizing yourself
- (1:08:45) Final thoughts
For more information about Kyle and what he’s doing now, visit Kyle’s website.