For this podcast episode, I decided to invite my good friend and fellow traveler, Tim. I met Tim back in 2011 while living in Medellin, Colombia. We continued to stay in touch and have met up in different parts of the world throughout the years including Miami, Copenhagen and Estonia, just to name a few.
Tim used to have a rather unusual job with an unusual schedule: he worked for five weeks straight (16 hours per day) and then traveled for five weeks straight. The job paid extremely well (upwards of $1,500 per DAY and more). The money he made from working for five weeks allowed him to pretty much travel anywhere he wanted and do it in style, without a constraining budget. Some friends and I called him the “overpaid traveler.”
Nevertheless, the lucrative job came with many challenges that weren’t obvious at first.
Here’s what we discuss:
- What made Tim get into this line of work
- How he manages his relationships on this bizarre schedule (with friends/girlfriends)
- How traveling changes you
- What’s it like to work on an oil rig and live with a bunch of different dudes for 5 weeks straight
- The craziest experiences he’s had abroad
- How he plans his travels
- Why Tim never documented his travels
- Tim’s advice to his 22-year-old self
- Why Tim no longer travels as much and what he’s doing instead
You can follow Tim’s adventures here: https://instagram.com/intoxicationofadream
Want more? Join The Maverick Insider's Club. Members get access to the premium "Boots on the ground" 2-3X weekly podcast, member-only newsletter, amazing content, AMA's, and other awesome perks. It's the best community of its kind on the Internet. Click here to learn more and join.